How to get backlinks
There are six ways in which you can get backlinks for your website/blog. Some are better than others. One of the methods, I definitely wouldn't recommend you do:
1. Wait and see
2. Ask websites for backlinks
3. Writing guest posts on other websites
4. Add backlinks in comments or forums
5. Link to other websites first and wait for them to link back
6. Buying backlinks
Why are links so important?
Having lots of backlinks to your website can increase traffic in three ways, one direct, two indirect:
1. Visitors from those websites/blogs can click on the links on these websites/blogs and visit your site. So more traffic!
2. The more backlinks your web pages have, the higher the web pages' ranking will be in search engines like Google. For Google and other search engines backlinks to a website/blog are seen like recommendations that the content on the web pages is good and relevant.
3. Backlinks not only lead to an increase in the search results ranking of the web page that actually receives them, but to the website as a whole. The 'link juice' spreads to other web pages on the website through internal links. This is a very good way to improve the search engine rankings of web pages on your website which normally don’t get many (or any) backlinks but are important (e.g. product or service sales pages).